- This event has passed.
James Hardiman 200 years on: Commemorating The History of the Town and County of the Town of Galway
April 29, 2020 @ 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Update: A video and audio recording of this webinar is now available
This year marks the bicentenary of the publication of James Hardiman’s classic History of the Town and County of the Town of Galway. This webinar explores Hardiman as a scholar of music, poetry, folklore and history. The panellists will assess his work as a historian and as collector of songs, discuss the Galway of his lifetime and his association with the university, interspersed with performances.
The panellists are all contributors to a forthcoming book, commemorating Hardiman’s History and exploring artistic and cultural life in his adopted city over the past two hundred years.
Please click this URL to join:
- Marie Boran (Special Collections Librarian, James Hardiman Library, NUI Galway)
- Dr Ciaran McDonough (Moore Institute, NUI Galway)
- Dr Jimmy O’Brien Moran (Lecturer, Waterford Institute of Technology, and noted piper)
- Prof. Lillis Ó Laoire (Roinn na Gaeilge, NUI Galway, and noted traditional singer
- Dr Nollaig Ó Muraíle (formerly Roinn na Gaeilge, NUI Galway)
Dr John Cunningham (Director of MA History programme/Moore Institute, NUI Galway)
Hardiman and Beyond: the Arts and Culture in Galway, 1820-2020, edited by John Cunningham and Ciaran McDonough (Arden), will be available in the autumn.