School of Languages, Literatures and Cultures
Ref. No. NUIG RES 194-22
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for a full-time fixed-term position as a Postdoctoral Researcher with the School of Languages, Literatures and Cultures at the National University of Ireland, Galway.
This position is funded by the Irish Research Council and is available from 01/10/2022 to contract end date of 30/09/2023.
The successful candidate will be part of the team for an Irish Research Council project, carrying out a sociolinguistic study of migration in Ireland, with a specific focus on rural areas.
The successful candidate will be responsible for carrying out ethnographic research in rural communities in Ireland, in close collaboration with the Principal Investigator (PI). The research will investigate the languages spoken by migrants/refugees living in rural areas, the availability of multilingual information and services to them, their strategies for language learning and the obstacles that they face in establishing a relationship with the community where they live.
- Establish contact with local communities and civil society organisations, supporting the negotiation of collaborations and partnerships;
- Recruit prospective research participants;
- Carry out semi-structured interviews with research participants;
- Be involved in the supervision of the participants of a pilot citizen sociolinguistics study;
- Transcription and coding of interviews;
- Co-author publications resulting from the research (report, conference paper, journal article);
- Collaborate in the organisation of a community outreach event.
- PhD in Applied Linguistics or Sociolinguistics or related area (submitted before interview date)
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Ability to work well both collaboratively and independently
- Highly motivated, with excellent organisational skills
- Experience working with migrant or refugee communities
- Experience of qualitative research methods (ethnographic research)
- Peer-reviewed publication record
- Experience of community outreach and partnerships outside academia
- English proficiency plus a degree of expertise in one or two additional languages (preferably including at least one of the following: Polish, French, Romanian, Lithuanian, Spanish, German, Russian, Portuguese, Chinese, Arabic, Ukrainian).
Salary: € 39,523 per annum pro rata for shorter and/or part-time contracts (public sector pay policy rules pertaining to new entrants will apply).
Start date: Position is available from 01/10/2022
Continuing Professional Development/Training:
Researchers at NUI Galway are encouraged to avail of a range of training and development opportunities designed to support their personal career development plans. NUI Galway provides continuing professional development supports for all researchers seeking to build their own career pathways either within or beyond academia. Researchers are encouraged to engage with our Researcher Development Centre (RDC) upon commencing employment – see www.nuigalway.ie/rdc for further information.
Further information on research and working at NUI Galway is available on Research at NUI Galway
For information on moving to Ireland please see www.euraxess.ie
Further information about the school is available at School of Languages, Literatures & Cultures – NUI Galway
Informal enquiries concerning the post may be made to Dr. Andrea Ciribuco (email@example.com)
NB: Gárda vetting is a requirement for this post (as appropriate to Child Protection Policy)
Applications should include a covering letter outlining the applicant’s suitability for the role, a CV, and the contact details of three referees. Applications should be sent as one pdf file via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put reference number NUIG RES 194-22 in subject line of e-mail application.
Closing date for receipt of applications is 5.00 pm on 18/08/2022
Interviews are planned to be held online on 30/08/2022
We reserve the right to re-advertise or extend the closing date for this post.
National University of Ireland, Galway is an equal opportunities employer.
All positions are recruited in line with Open, Transparent, Merit (OTM) and Competency based recruitment.